Misplacing Fear


If I were to venture a guess as to the most intimidating discipline in the Christian life of the disciple, I would say it is evangelism. 

 

Particularly in the postmodern, post-Christian west (though I imagine as well all over the world, as humanity is increasingly educated in globalization) the idea of sharing the good news of Jesus – not just “my faith,” but actually saying his name – is crippling for followers of Jesus; or Jesus-workers as we are affectionately referred to in the first part of Luke 10.  And among the many reasons why this is, I suspect the root of all reasons is trepidation; or fear, but I think I like trepidation because it's easier to visualize.

 

For me, most often, my fear convinces me the moment would become awkward.  Like last week, flying home from Palm Springs; I had lots of interaction with folks along the way, but sneaking the gospel into any of those interactions seemed out of place. 

 

Honestly, boiled down – and maybe you can relate here – I’m fearful to pierce the casual nature of society with the dead serious nature of the gospel of my Lord and Savior.  You get that? 

 

Walking up and down the streets of daily life reveals that folks around us are mostly into the insistence of earthly matters and the here-and-now-ness of life.  Folks generally aren’t into issues of life and death and sin and righteousness and other costly chatter.  And isn’t it hard to wiggle the latter into the former?  So I make an excuse:  Not yet, Too soon, Too late, Next time. 


 

Yet, still honestly, I’m cut to the heart by the words of Jesus in Luke 10:2:  The harvest of would-be Jesus-workers doesn't wait on fear or excuse.  The harvest must either be reaped and saved or it will be lost to the wiles of wind, rain, and worldliness.  The call to evangelism is urgent; demand is high, supply is short.  Jesus says pray for more workers…but as you pray, go…now. 

 

Be warned, however, and I suppose there is some measure of fear in this, Jesus doesn’t promise we'll be popular, or even safe for that matter. 

 

As Jesus commissions these seventy-two disciples in the story, so in like manner he commissions all disciples throughout history.  “I’m sending you out like lambs among wolves…”  Get that image.  A couple lambs strolling through a pack of wolves, and probably hungry ones.  Safe?  Not really. 

 

Jesus keeps direction simple though: Pack light, Stay focused, and Speak up…

 

“Peace to you.”

     &

“The Kingdom of God has come near you.”

 

That’s the message.  Take it to the people, to the towns, to whomever all around.  Take it to my neighborhood, my school, my park, my office, my church…yes, my church, and yours, because I promise there are folks you go to church with that are not Jesus-workers yet. 

 

“Peace to you.”

     &

“The Kingdom of God has come near you.”

 

Those are the words that will pierce the casual nature of our society with the dead serious nature of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Those are good words of hope and salvation.  

 

Jesus reminds us that some will hear it and receive it.  Most won't.  And in the case of the latter, Jesus has hard un-minced words.  In short, this life will be as good as it gets for them.  Beyond this life there is woe and anguish.

 

And at this point I’m struck by the heart rending reality that my fears related to evangelism are misplaced.  They point wholly back to me; my comfort level.  The concern at hand is a sort of what will people think of me?  Elsewhere in the gospels Jesus says if I’m ashamed of him, then he’ll be ashamed of me when I stand before him one day in eternity future.  If I’m tracking along, what Jesus thinks of me ought to outweigh what everyday folks think of me.  And if I don’t speak up, who will and what will happen to the harvest at the end of it all? 

 

Well, the end of it all is in Luke 10:16.  If folks listen to me – to us – about the truth of Jesus Christ, then really they're listening to Jesus himself.  That’s the measure of authority he places in us.  Conversely, if folks reject us, then really they're rejecting Jesus.  “And whoever rejects Jesus, rejects the God of the Universe who sent him.”  And rejecting the God of the universe is a high offense and to be highly feared.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts