Superman

(Nov. 20, 98)


I remember
at least… 
yea, at least three times
when my Dad,
after work,
jumped from his enormous,
white,
two door,
Chevy Beaumont.

His cape was tied tightly
around his neck
so it wouldn’t blow away.

The oversized paper towel,
cut from a second quality roll
down at the mill,
waved in the wind.

I suspect
that he always called ahead
to insure that Mom
gathered us
at the front room window
to watch his antics.

My Dad, like Superman,
flew in circles
around the house,
finishing with a figure eight
in the front yard,
around the part that’s always green.

He was laughing,
I could tell.
It was a jolly laugh,
like Santa Claus.
Only my Dad was tall and thin.

My brother and sister
laughed excitedly.
I waved hard and fast,
smiling with glee.

And my Mom?
Well, her eyes smiled,
as her husband,
the love of her life,
became a Dad.


Tuesday, April 26, 2016 marked 19 years since my Dad, Harvey Weeda went to be with Jesus.  I had hoped to post this sooner than today.  Time and space required other things of me I suppose.  Here, now though, is a poem I wrote several months after my Dad's passing.  Simply a remembrance of a life well lived.

Comments

Popular Posts