A Remembrance With Friends At The Table

[This past Sunday, I was given the opportunity to lead our church body as we gathered together for the Lord’s Supper.  The following is a short reflection I wrote as an invitation of sorts to The Table…]


Imagine with me for a minute…  You and a couple of your closest friends are going out for a meal.  Maybe your spouse is one of them.  Maybe a couple business partners or co-workers are with you.  Maybe a few college dorm mates or others you went deep with in classes.  Maybe a cousin or two, or other family members are with you.  But whoever is with you, they are a couple of your closest friends.

The three or four of you meet at one of your favorite restaurants.  Smiles and laughter ensue as you greet one another.  “Hey, how are you.”  “I’m good.  How are you.”  “Oh, I’m fine.  Busy, but fine.”  “Yeah, me too.”  And the conversation goes from there.

Finally the hostess smiles in your direction, gathers the menus and leads you and your closest friends through the narrow walkways of the restaurant and between tables to your seat.  A booth would be just fine.  But, instead of a booth, or even a small table, the hostess seats you at a table that size wise may be more suitable for a banquet.  The discomfort of the moment seems to be missed by the hostess as you all look at each other quizzically and then at the table.  One of you seems concerned.  Another grins slightly as though there’s a mistake.  You chuckle a bit as you look around the restaurant.  It does appear full so you assume this table is what is available.

The three or four of you take your seats near the middle of the long table and begin browsing the menu as the small talk from the lobby area grows a bit “larger.”  Suddenly the hostess appears with another small group and they are seated at the same table as you…just to your left.  Three people you have never seen before and apparently have never seen you.  Then, before the puzzlement of the moment wears off, along comes the hostess again.  This time she is joined by a couple servers and a cook, and they too sit down at your table…just to your right.  Now the table is full, but awkwardly so to say the least.  You and your friends look at one another anxiously and with a bit of embarrassment, but no one says anything since the strangers are all within ear shot.

Well, your meal proceeds, but with a noticeable difference than prior meals together.  Conversation is shallow and reflection is narrow.  The “large” talk has shrunk back to being small again.  Stories that were often shared are not brought up.  Particular remembrances are not mentioned.  Depth of insight goes lacking.  The reason of course is because the intention for this meal was that it be enjoyed by friends.  And frankly, the proximity of those who are not friends has made it awkward to fully and wholly experience.

One of my favorite statements that Jesus makes in the upper room discourse; that portion of John’s gospel where Jesus entreats his closest followers with some final words as they have gathered around a Passover meal, one that came to be known as the Lord’s Supper…  One of my favorite statements that Jesus makes there as they have eaten this meal together is in John 15:12-15:




“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made know to you.”


Something dawned on me this past week as I prepared to lead us in this time together participating in the Lord’s Supper.  This meal…this bread and this cup of juice…this is a meal for those whom Jesus has called his friends.  This is a meal for those who Jesus has particularly laid his life down for and who know it and believe it and have staked their own life on it.  This is a meal for those who have laid down their own lives; their own desires and pursuits, unto a desirous pursuit of Jesus’ command to love one another as He has loved them.

This is not a meal for those whom Jesus has not yet called his friends; those who have not yet believed in Jesus’ life laid down, wounded for their transgressions, crushed for their iniquities, sacrificed for their sin.  This is not a meal for those who have not yet laid down their desires and pursuits for the sake of Jesus’ command to love one another as He has loved you.

And the reason is this…  This meal is a remembrance among other things.  According to both the gospel writers and Paul in 1 Corinthians 11, Jesus took hold of the bread, which was probably more like a crispy tortilla, and broke it; cracked it into pieces with crumbs falling on the table and floor, and said, “This is my body, which is given for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.”  Then he took the cup, which was probably bigger than these cups here, and said, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood.  Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Now, for those whom Jesus has called his friends, immediately there is indeed a remembrance that occurs and just holding this little cube of ordinary bread and this little cup of ordinary grape juice generates a flood of rich meaning and symbolism; an emotion of both joy and sorrow that, in the stillness of the moment, disarm us of ourselves and casts us before the throne of God.  Conversely, for those whom Jesus has not yet called his friends, this little cube of bread and cup of juice have no remembrance associated with it.  Memories, perhaps, from years gone by as a child in a more formal church setting.  But there is no particular meaning or emotional response that would summon a remembrance of what Christ Jesus has done for them.  Truth be told, the elements of the meal as observed today barely constitute a mid-morning snack.  There is no need to participate.  But what all of us gathered together now in one room at one banquet table, both friends of Jesus and strangers; what we all need to be mindful of is…that’s alright.

We’re still going to pass around this bread and this juice.  And those of you whom Jesus has called friend, please participate and engage this meal; this Lord’s Supper, with others whom Jesus has called friend.  Converse together.  Remember.  Reflect.  And those of you, whom Jesus has not yet called friend, please respect this meal; this Lord’s Supper, and allow the bread and the juice to be passed on.  But as you do that, I’d encourage you to listen carefully.  You may have noticed I used the word “yet,” as in not yet called Jesus’ friend.  Understand that this is a holy moment of sorts for God’s people; Jesus’ friends, and it may very well be that Jesus will call you friend even now and here.

[LATER, after the meal is served]

Often times, what I will do when I eat the bread is place it on my tongue and crush it against the roof of my mouth as a way of remembering that Jesus’ body was indeed crushed for my iniquity; God’s wrath toward me absorbed by Him on the cross.  Let us eat this bread together now in remembrance of just that.

Often times, what I will do when I drink this juice is I will hold it in my mouth for just a moment and let it sort of wash over my tongue; kind of cleanse my palate, if you will, as a way of remembering that the blood of Jesus has cleansed me of all my sins and that this reality is represented in Scripture as the new covenant.  Let us drink this juice together now in remembrance of just that.


Comments

Popular Posts