Living Where Worlds Collide (part 2)


As I have ruminated on the question-ish of those four young emerging adults who sat with me in my office, it occured to me that theirs is a question of reconciliation.  Maybe the clearest stating would be:  How do we dissolve the barrier between Christians and the world around us so people can hear about Jesus?  And by “people,” I think I mean those on both sides of the barrier; Christian and non-Christian alike, because I seems that anyone who has placed a brick in the wall – and I stand with hand raised – could bear to hear a bit more about Jesus.

I wonder how you would answer that question.  Have you ever paused to ask it?  I suspect there are lots of answers.  I have book shelves full of books and I bet a good half of them address the issue, even if by marginal mention.  Plenty has been suggested from an apologetic standpoint; how to give answers and stand in defense of the faith.  As well, plenty has been suggested from an evangelistic standpoint; how to offer truth and stand in offense of the faith.  One or both of these two postures are largely what Christian’s imagine they must assume upon encountering the “middle ground” or engaging those who aren’t Christians yet.  But I guess my initial reaction is to first step back from the defensive and offensive; stand down off the battle line. 

One of the four even said with a queried tone, “It feels like we need to meet each other.”  He imagined the two opposing sides meeting in the middle ground, offering a firm civil hand shake, and introducing themselves to one another, even exchanging niceties like many do on Sunday morning at church… 

“Hi, I’m a Christian.” 
“Nice to meet you, I’m not a Christian.” 
“Nice to meet you.”
“How are you?”
“I’m good.  How are you?”
“Oh, good, good.”

Obviously that example is grossly stated and the requirement for cooperation exceeds most capabilities, but I think he may be right in some sense.  Christians need to realize they don’t have to approach non-Christians with a prepared posture.  There needn’t be a feeling or compulsion of evangelistic offense or apologetic defense.  Always being prepared to give a reason for the faith that we have doesn’t mean approaching with brandished sword or shield up.  Keeping them at hand is biblically appropriate.  But enjoining non-Christians with the assumption of doing battle is biblically inappropriate. 

Imagine what could happen instead if our manner of approach looked different…Acts 17 different?


Comments

Popular Posts